Wanted:

To: "/R=GALAXY/R=GEMS/U=INETUSER@ADDRESS.GOV.BC.CA/IDD.NODENAME=VAXBCSC/IDD.USERID=INTERNET/"@mr.gov.bc.ca
Subject: Wanted:
From: IGHOBDAY AT BCSC02 <IGHOBDAY@BCSC02.gov.bc.ca>
Date: 06 Aug 1992 12:18:13 -0700 (PDT)
To External users:
BRITISH-CARS@AUTOX.TEAM.NET at  Internet

I have two minis myself - although neither one is much of a performance
car...a '61 Woody Wagon and a '79 saloon.  Enough about that.  Anyway,
a friend of mine was over a couple of days ago, and he is building an
engine that sounds much like the one being discussed here.  He plans
to use a VP3 cam (for road use).
We started to chat about scatter cams, and this is (to the best of my
sometimes fuzzy recollection!) how/why they work better than normal
cams:
#1. A series fires like this: 1-3-4-2.
#2. Think of the firing order like this: 3-4-2-1.
#3. As we all know, the Mini head is siamese ported.
#4. Chain of events with normal cam:  Cyl #1 doing intake stroke.  Cyl
#2 Will be doing its exhaust stroke.  Just as Cyl #1 is finishing
its intake stroke, (the intake valve won't have had time to fully
close), Cyl #2 goes suuuuuck, and starts it intake stroke, and
because they are sharing the same intake port, it will rob Cyl# 1
of part of its charge, resulting in less power.  Cyl #4 does the
same thing to cyl number 3.
The idea behind a scatter cam is to spread the timing of these pairs
apart to stop the robbing effect.  Apparently lower horsepower engines
won't notice much of a difference, but the performers should...
If you want to read about it from "the" authority, get your hands on the
_NEW_ edition of "Tuning BL's A-series Engine" by David Vizard.  You can
tell the new edition from the old one by the cover.  The new cover is
yellow, the old one is blue.
All I can say now is I hope that I explained that right!  (You should
see the mess of diagrams that cover my desk as I type this in...)
Ian.

Ian Hobday                                 Phone: (604) 389-3822
SNA Production Group,                            OV ID: IGHOBDAY
BC Systems Corp.                Internet: IGHOBDAY@BCSC02.BITNET