Fuses

To: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
Subject: Fuses
From: brucec@amex-trs.com (Bruce Carter)
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1992 14:34:56 -0700
Andy <acg@hermes.dlogics.com> scribed:>

> as "Fast Blow" and "Slow Blow". Presumably the latter can take a brief
> surge of current flow, say from a motor starting up, without burning up,
> but I wonder if it's possible to melt the surroundings without blowing
> this type of fuse.                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^

By "surroundings" I take it you the wires and assoicated H/W. If that is
the case then my answer is "probably not", unless of course someone prior
changed the fuse to some greater value. But you theorized correctly that
"slow blow" fuses can take a surge of current at the limit for a short
period of time. As opposed to a normal fuse, which "should" blow at the
current rating of the fuse in question.

I qouted 'probably not' and 'should', because what works on paper never
works in reality. And so under normal circumstances all things
considered (ie.. fuses are of correct value, no high resistance
connections, etc...)

Bruce...