Max Tire Size

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Max Tire Size
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 92 15:34:15 pdt
I was scanning one of the newsgroups today and came across the following:

> / hplsla:rec.autos.tech / lusky@hal.gnu.ai.mit.edu (Jonathan R. Lusky) /
>11:20 pm  Jul 15, 1992 /
> In article <15JUL199213101985@zeus.tamu.edu> rcg1597@zeus.tamu.edu (GUYNN,
>RICHARD CARL) writes:
> >>Pontiac.  They are 5.5" wide and I would like to go for the 'balloon' look
> >>(where the ribber hangs out over the center of the rim.
> >
> >>PS  I have P195/70R13 Goodyears right now and am looking to go to a 60
>series
> >>Cooper Cobra tire-unless the 60s would look dorky in my wheel wells.
> >

> >     3) This would mean that the safest width of tire for your rim size would
> >        be 5.5"/.75 = 7.3" = 185mm.  Which would indicate that you are
> >        already pushing your limit.

Unfortunately the original posting from which the above was quoted
either never reached this site or I missed it before it scrolled off the
top of the group.  Since the question of tire size will be coming up for
the snake soon, I'm interested in the source of the above calculation.
Is it generic (i.e.  tire width = rim width/.75) or is the .75 dependent
on other factors.  I currently have 205/15s on the snake's 6" rims but
will be replacing these very tall tires with lower profile rubber.  How
do I calculate the maximum effective width tire that can be mounted on 6"
rims?

Roland Dudley
cobra@hpcdcsn.cdc.hp.com
CSX2282