Re: Midget 1500 Hydraulic Clutch Question

To: RGOLEN@umassd.edu
Subject: Re: Midget 1500 Hydraulic Clutch Question
From: "Chris Kent Kantarjiev" <cak@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1992 11:20:36 PDT
It sounds like a seal with a small leak/tear in it. Since the cylinders
are dry, it's probably the one in the master; the seal that actually
pressurizes the line is letting fluid by, but the outer seal (at the
plunger end) is still intact. Replace/rebuild the master and see if
that solves your problem.

Success of rebuilds on aluminum cylinders varies. Some people, in
particular TeriAnn on this list, have good luck with honing and then
polishing the cylinder, and then using a good rebuild kit, as long as
the cylinder isn't too pitted and corroded. I have middling luck --
rebuilds seem to last about a year for me before they start leaking, so
I've started replacing whenever I have the extra cash around to pay for
the cylinder.