MQuick MGA tale

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: MQuick MGA tale
From: kendall@gallium.chey.com (none)
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 92 9:09:41 EDT

Driving home yesterday afternoon I spotted a black MGA, dead on the side of
the road, engine exposed, owner lounging on the grass next to it.  Of
course I stopped to offer a ride, but he had his portable phone with
him and had already called for help.

The car was a 1960, restored 13 years ago and badly in need of another
restoration.  He told me that the motor had suddenly developed a horrendous
knocking noise.  He was hoping it was a water pump, or something like that,
and started it (briefly) for me to hear.  It sounded sick.  There was a huge
knock from deep inside, like a rod bearing had let go.  Dead car, I'd say.
He told me that he had just taken first gear as far as it would go and was
in the process of doing the same to second when the "noise" developed.

Anyway, we talked a bit, and he also told me that he races his 944 Turbo
with the Porsche club at Bridgehampton and Lime Rock.  I figure he forgot
he was driving the MGA for a second and was waiting for the boost
to kick in.  :^)

Kendall Robinson