Re: PVC pipe was re: air compressors

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: PVC pipe was re: air compressors
From: knipper@optilink.com (Ron Knipper)
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 92 12:53:24 PDT
I have been planning to plumb my garage with 0.5" schedule 40 PVC.  I
just haven't gotten around to it yet.  That stuff is rated at 600 psi,
which seems adequate to me.

I saw a demonstration of QA testing of PVC on _This Old House_ (or
something similar).  The manufacturer tests to approx double the rated
pressure.  As the pressure exceed the rating, the PVC begins to form
an aneurysm.  The aneurysm grew until it finally burst.

It seems that one criteria to prevent PVC cracking (esp at joints) is
to provide adequately for some expansion under pressure.  After all,
the stuff is plastic.  I plan to let most of the pipe float inside
loose straps.

The alternatives to PVC are: (1) copper, or (2) keep dragging around
flex hoses.  I am willing to give PVC a try since it is awfully cheap
and easy to install.

Ron Knipper
DSC Optilink
knipper@optilink.com