Re: Re: Sebring Sprites

To: lye@elegans.wustl.edu
Subject: Re: Re: Sebring Sprites
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 92 11:26:42 pdt
> From: lye@elegans.wustl.edu (John Lye)
> To: british-cars@autox.team.net
> Subject: Re: Sebring Sprites
>
> Roland sez:
>
> ->Once in a Phoenix regional SCCA race my friend Paul Nygaard got beat in
>
> A couple of years ago at a Vintage race in Pueblo, CO, I got
> watch Harvey Staab in a Formula Vee pass three of the four Cobras
> in the race and was gaining ground on the fourth when the guy spun
> off into the dirt trying to stay in front of him.  Harvey's had the

Being behind the wheel of a snake and knowing how to drive it are
two different things.  Think "brute force" 'cus that's what it's
all about.  They're okay until you reach the limit (which can be right
quick if you're not experienced) and it takes a good arm and a strong
left leg to shift (not to mention unassisted 4-wheel disk brakes) so
these cars aren't for the dainty driver.  Also there are snakes
and then there are snakes.  For example an FIA roadster weighs less than
1900 pounds and is powered by 385 very torquey HP; my snake weighs
in at about 2300 pounds with about 300HP (at least at one time).
And a Formula V is a very nimble car, probably a match for a Cobra
in the right hands.  They're really a different class of car.  Don
Roberts was able to win national Bp in his Cobra at Road Atlanta
in 1967.  He told me the only cars he had trouble staying with were
the Porsches 104s.

Paul's brother John once told me a story about a FV race in Phoenix.
There were three cars really dicing it out for the lead for the whole
race there were many lead changes.  After the race the driver of these
three cars (who finished 1 2 3) all protested each other and were
all disqualified.  The fourth place finisher was declared the winner.

BTW, neither of the Nygaard brothers were particularly good drivers
but they did have lots of fun trying and were both very active
in the Phoenix SCCA for years.