Redcar progress, or, The race is on !

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Redcar progress, or, The race is on !
From: "Daren Stone, D2 IE, 5-9521, bpr:237-2322, RN2-C6" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 92 13:49:39 PDT
     Tentatively. I received a call about a week ago letting
     me know that the La Carrera organization has requested
     the necessary permits to run the Classic on the weekend
     of June 27th. Nine weeks away, that was the good news.
     *Plenty* of time to prepare. The bad news was that the
     torrential rainfall they've been having has not only
     caused massive cholera outbreaks, but it's done a fair
     share of damage to the road we'll be running on, and
     they don't know if they'll be able to patch it up well
     enough to get some good contiguous roadway. Hmmmmm.
     Glad I re-set those springs ....

     Redcar progress;
     Since we'll be running in mid-summer in Mexico, I opted
     for the cross-flow radiator & an electric fan instead
     of the vertical flow + engine fan. I had the radiator
     place check out the cross flow & of course they found
     the core to be in quite poor shape. So I had them replace
     it with a new 3 row, (instead of the usual 2) and boil
     out the heater. *Ding* All new hoses & all components
     painted, it'll probably go back in tonight.
     The other big change this year was to return the bonnet
     to the "normal" manner of opening, which is back
     towards the windscreen. That's the way it worked when I
     got the car, but I quickly designed some hinges that
     would allow the bonnet to tip forwards, and made
     everything quick-disconnect (even the wiring harness),
     so that the whole shebang could be lifted off in
     seconds. Well that works great when the bonnet's
     integrity is, um, pure, but when Mt. Hamilton takes a
     big bite out of the driver's side, let's say the
     bonnet's integrity becomes compromised. Hence, my
     repaired bonnet didn't really work well with these
     hinges, so I decided to put it all back stock. I'll
     just save the tilt forward hardware for a glassfibre
     Speedwell bonnet .....
          Anyway, the conversion back to stock took quite a
     bit longer than expected, having to dig up all the
     original hardware (still cannot find the handle, am
     using a glass doorknob. That's class.) But finally the
     other night I managed to get it all back on & adjusted.
     And then I remember why I changed it in the first place.
          Working on the Sprite under hood must be a
     chiropractor's dream come true, oh and you can just
     forget about taking that battery out. But I shouldn't
     complain, it looks like a car again, & it works good.
          All that's left now is to refit the radiator &
     finish hooking up the wiring harness. I'm shooting for
     Friday to be the maiden voyage.

          cheers-
                 dstone@sc9.intel.com