Re: Lucas starters

To: british-cars@hoosier, sfisher@wsl.dec.com
Subject: Re: Lucas starters
From: "Daren Stone, D2 IE, 5-9521, bpr:237-2322, RN2-C6" <DSTONE@SC9.intel.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 92 14:47:01 PDT
Re: Lucas starter interchangability

    >I then talked to Pegasus Racing who distribute the starters,
    and they said that the starter for a Formula Ford 1600/2000
    is a "generic Lucas two bolt mounting".  He claimed that the
    Lucas starters (with two bolts) all used the same mounting
    plate

>>I know that's wrong.  I know for a fact that the Lucas starter
that came with the Austin America will not interchange with the
Lucas starter that came with an MG Midget, in spite of the fact
that they're both 35J starters (or whatever) and they're both for
1275cc A-Series engines.  All the internals will interchange,
but you cannot take a Lucas two-bolt starter out of an Austin
America and a two-bolt starter out of an MG Midget and swap them.
The holes are spaced differently.

>>>My .02 cents worth: Recently I was at Mini-mania for
     their swap meet and a guy had two piles of A-series
     starters for sale. I asked what the differences were,
     and he pointed to one & said they were for Spridgets,
     notice the wide-spaced mounting holes and the short
     bendix. The other pile was for Minis, note the  narrow
     mounting holes & long bendix. So Scott is correct in
     that the mounting plates are different, but you also
     must be careful about the internals. BTW, 35G preceded
     the 35J model starter, and apparently they looked
     mostly the same, but used different bushings, etc.

          cheers-
                 dstone@sc9.intel.com