TR6 frame repair and floorboards replacement

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: TR6 frame repair and floorboards replacement
From: Dean_Zywicki%NIHDCRT.BITNET@CU.NIH.GOV
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 92 10:56:23 EST
|Date: 4-2-92  10:56am
|From: Dean Zywicki:dcrt:nih
|  To: {british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu}:INTERNET
|Subj: TR6 frame repair and floorboards replacement
    Now that I've gotten thoroughly sick of seeing my new floorpans
and frame pieces sitting in my living room, I've decided to take my TR6
to the frame shop today to have the rear crossmembers replaced and new
floorpans put in.  I went to a couple of places and all the estimates
were around $1000.  That's a bit more than I thought it would cost, but
I just got my tax refund check and it just about covers that, so I
decided to just do it.  I'm taking it to a place that gave an $870
estimate and it's convenient too.  So, next week I can actually put the
interior back.  The seats are real comfortable now with new foams and
some extra lumbar support.  The refinished dash looks a lot better too.
Hopefully, nothing funky will come up.  I only REALLY need the drivers
side floor pan and frame piece.  But, the other side frame piece is
showing signs of rot and the passengers side floor pan has some heavy
surface rust.
    I took the front wings off and found about a square inch of rust by
where the chrome strip runs along the bottom.  It was like this on bothsides.
I also banged on the rest of the frame with a hammer and didn't
find any soft spots, so that's why I decided to spend the money.  I've
been driving the car for about a year and haven't had one bit of
mechanical troubles (I probably shouldn't have said that) so that was
another factor.
    I think the estimate might still be a bit high.  They are figuring
10 hours a side for the floor pans and 4 hours a side for the frame
pieces.  This includes an extra $75 misc. stuff.

      Dean "it would have to snow today" Zywicki