Re: Brake fluids

To: phabib@apple.com
Subject: Re: Brake fluids
From: Roland Dudley <cobra@cdc.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 92 11:08:19 pst
> Date: Mon, 23 Mar 92 09:55:43 -0800
> From: Philippe Habib <phabib@apple.com>
> To: british-cars@autox.team.net
> Subject: Brake fluids
>
> Can someone provide a quick description of the 3 kinds of brake fluid?
>
> All I know is DOT 3 rots rubber and DOT 5 is silicone and while being kind to
> rubber and not absorbing water, traps air instead?
>
> What is the DOT 4 stuff?  How important is it that I drain the DOT 3 out of
> my TR7 and replace it?  Should I use 4 or 5?  The car is an occasional use
> street only car.

I believe DOT4 is glycol based just like DOT3 but I'll let others expand
on that.  Personally I would not put in DOT5 unless you're planing on
disassembling all of the individual components and cleaning them.  It's
just not a good idea to mix fluid types.  If you are planning a complete
redo of you're braking system and can get every bit of the old fluid
out, Silicone is probably a good choice, especially for the type of use
you describe.  But you can not get all of the old fluid out by flushing
alone.  DOT4 might be a good choice if you just want to replace the old
DOT3 since it is compatible and is kinder and gentler to rubber.