VALVE SEATS

To: sol@hoosier, amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu
Subject: VALVE SEATS
From: xgg2356@dcmdc.dla.mil (James Fuerstenberg)
Date: Thu Mar 19 07:48:39 1992
TR7/stag valve seats.

the reason the part numbers are the same is the stag engine is basically
two TR7 or dolomite engines joined at the hip.  I suspect you will find quite
a few common parts between the two.

Note to Phil Ethier re use of unleaded.  Porsche club published a study a
couple of years ago on this topic.  the study found that back to about 1960,
the rockwell hardness of 356 valve seats was sufficient to use unleaded. I
think you need a rockwell number of 56-60.  Maybe  someone in Lotus Corps or
even at Dave Bean can give you a rockwell number for your seats... or you
could just pull your head and have the seats checked....or buy an extra seat
and have that tested.

good luck

jim fuerstenberg

                        186,000 miles per second, it's not just a good idea
                        it's the law!

jfuerstenberg@dcri.dla.mil or
xgg2356@dcri.dla.mil

The opinions stated herein are solely my own and not those of my employer.