Machine Shop Bill

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Machine Shop Bill
From: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley)
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 92 21:13:27 EST
Since Several of you asked for it, here it is...
My TR6 machine Shop bill.

    BLOCK WORK
    . Degrease all Parts - $50 This meant putting all the parts (oil
      pan, block, valve cover, head, etc) in a hot tank.  They also
      glass beaded my intake manifold.
    . Cylinders Bored to .020 over - $85 (Included hone job too!)
    . Resurface Block - $50
      This kinda bummed me out.  They had to true the surface up, but
      they also took my serial number off the block.  I didn't have it
      recorded either...  :-(  They also resurfaced the head.
    . Reground Crankshaft to .010.  - $75
      It was scored, so I felt lucky that it could even be done!
    . Reground cam and welded 3 lobes - $120 (DING!)
      But I had them put a little beefer grind than stock.  It's a
      Chambers BL-1 cam grind.  The sucker was megga pitted too. Oh,
      they also coated it with graphite for break in.
    . Turn Flywheel - $30
    . Recondition connecting rod big ends - $76
      This was REAL important... The big ends on the connecting rods
      were no longer round.  They did a really nice job truing these up.
    HEAD WORK
    . Valve Job - $85 (cleaned and reused the old valves)
    . Install Valve Guides - $60 ($5 each)
    . Cut for P/C seals - $18
      This is supposed to reduce oil consumption in the head, and it
      should also improve emmissions.

Parts:
    . 3 flywheel dowel pins - $1.50
    . 12 valve guides - $24
    . 12 P/C seals - $12

The total bill with tax came up to $688.38.  It did hurt some, but I
think in the long run, I'll forget how much money I spent at the
machine shop when I'm still running my nice engine several years from
now.  :-) Buy [sic] the way, the TR6 is happy and running now.  It's
gets better everytime I muck with it.  Of course we're having a cold
spell here in Maryland now, so I've taken a break from it for a bit.

So how's this machine bill compare to the rest of the world?  Anyone
in the U.K want to comment on how much tooling is on the other side of
the pond?
---
The light at the end of the tunnel is the headlight of an approaching
train.

Scott Paisley        paisley@cme.nist.gov      ..!uunet!cme-durer!paisley