CLANK VI-OY WE ARE IN DRERD

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: CLANK VI-OY WE ARE IN DRERD
From: Jerry Kaidor <Jerry_Kaidor.ENGINTWO@engtwomac.synoptics.com>
Date: 12 Mar 92 07:53:15
   CLANK VI:OY WE ARE IN DRERD!
  Will it never end?  Last night I pulled a piston out of its liner, to clean
everything, and a broken ring immediately fell out.  Looks like I have to take
care of the pistons & sleeves after all.

   For those who don't remember, this is for my TR2's engine;  the one that I
pulled because of a clank in the clutch.

   On close inspection, the liner has a taper of .008", and the piston is
looking pretty tired.

  Now, the price of a new set of pistons & liners is about $550 from either TRF
or Moss.  Ouch!  There's gotta be some way around this.  It is possible to
obtain new oversized pistons and it MAY be possible to get the liners rebored.
That is, if I can find a machine shop to do it.  My motorcycle experience says
that boring liners is more complicated than boring a block.  They need to be
clamped down in a "torque plate" that duplicates the load of the cylinder head.
 Has anybody out there had this done?  Recommend a shop?  Do an overbored
cylinders use the same head gasket as standard bore ones?

    If all else fails, I will buy the new pistons and liners.  And if I do, I'm
tempted to go 87mm ( might as well get some fun out of all this loot I'm
spending!).  What's the displacement of an 87mm engine, anyway?

     - Jerry