Re: sfisher and electrical problems

To: sfisher@wsl.dec.com
Subject: Re: sfisher and electrical problems
From: pwv@tc.fluke.COM (Pat Vilbrandt)
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 92 17:00:23 PST
Captain Caffeine <sfisher@wsl.dec.com> laments over his dyslexic disability
with automobile electrical systems (or, to be Politically Correct, should I
say "Electrically Challenged?"  :^)

> I brought a car back to life this weekend.

Jolly good of you.

> [...]
>
> But having British cars has made me slightly dyslexic when it comes
> to batteries, polarity, and ground/hot cables.  I carefully looked
> over the new battery (realizing after I returned home with the new
> one that I'd forgotten to note the orientation of the old one before
> removing it), repeated the Britcar-owner's mantra ("positive earth?
> Negative earth? Damn") and quickly wired it up backwards.  This led
> to the most interesting sizzling noises when I tried to touch the
> "ground" strap to the positive terminal after carefully wiring the
> "hot" strap to the negative pole first.
>
> [...interesting starting pyrotechnics deleted...]
>
> But the ammeter was quite interesting.  One of the nice things about
> the Super Sport package is that it has gauges, while the base model
> only has idiot lights.  Of course, this being a (gasp) domestic auto,
> the gauges have no calibrations; well, the oil pressure gauge has 0
> and 60, the temperature gauge has C and H, the gas gauge has E and F
> and the ammeter has D and C.  On starting, the ammeter drops into
> the D range, as is expected; and at idle, it sits at the marked
> center of the gauge, where it's supposed to be.
>
> But at any speed above idle, the system charges like Imelda Marcos at a
> 9 West factory discount sale.

Great analogy.  I like it.

> At freeway speeds, the needle is pegged up at the C end of the range.

I notice that you have been suspiciously thrifty with the description of this
tow vehicle.  sfisher wouldn't be ASHAMED of this car would he ... Nah!

Lesse, ... Lister-Corvette, ... Quadra Jet, ... SS package, ... old enough
to be worth too little to have in running condition for more than a few
racing seasons, ...  got to be a mid '60s Chevelle, 327 hi-po, and if he's
really lucky, the 4-speed Muncie gearbox.

I also recall this from Robb Pryor's amalgamation of the "Brit-Cars-Owned-