ZS carb rebuild (help)

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: ZS carb rebuild (help)
From: paisley@cme.nist.gov (Scotty Paisley)
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 92 11:27:48 EST
Well, I've finished rebuilding my Zenith Stromberg 175s for the '75
TR6.  I found several things wrong with them that ya'll might be
interested it.  The car was running way rich.  The first problem I
found was that the needle was set to its richest setting.  Second, the
float levels were off by 2 millimeters in the more gas direction.
Third, most of the rubber seals where rotten, and the choke gasket was
completely missing on both carbs.

Here's where I need some help.  I did something that I shouldn't have
done I guess.  I completely took the temperature compensator apart.
It was full of junk, so I still think, I'm better off than before, but
I did this *after* I read in my ZS manual that I shouldn't do that.
(I hate that.  Why don't the manuals explain why?  Instead of turn
this screw 1.5 times, tell me why I'm doing that!  I hate manuals. :-)
So does anyone one know how I should adjust this thing?  Should it be
closed or open?  At what temperature?  As of now, I put it back
approximately where it was when I took it apart, about 1/2 open at 70
degrees F.

About this list.  I like it the way it is.  I would hate to wreck a
good thing by making it a newsgroup.  As much as I like newgroups,
this forum helps to keep the trash down.  Have any of you out there
use the wais server at hoosier?  It's a great help.  I just read every
article that referenced the word "carb" all the way back to Sep 1991
before I posted this.  If you don't have it, I recommend it.  It might
help keep some of the traffic down.

To all that replied on my fake spare for a TR6, Thanks!
---
"Well, if you can't believe what you read in a comic book, what *can*
you believe?!"                      -- Bullwinkle J. Moose [Jay Ward]

Scott Paisley        paisley@cme.nist.gov      ..!uunet!cme-durer!paisley