From one problem to another...

To: british-cars@hoosier
Subject: From one problem to another...
From: Timothy Lyle Smith <tsmith@plains.NoDak.edu>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 1992 14:56:26 -0600

It was payday last week and I decided that it was time to fix the BGT.  I had
left it sit after determining that the throw-out bearing had worn out again.
I purchased a brand new bearing and headed out to the farm to replace it.
I had thought it would be an easy job, remove engine, pull off transmission,
replace bearing, reinstall engine/transmission, and drive home.  I figured
2 days.  I got to the point of engine/transmission seperation and found a
completly different problem.  The bearing in the center of my pressure plate
had come apart.  This had given the same characteristics as the throw-out
bearing wearing out.  This caused frantic running around looking for the spare
pressure plate all the while wondering "Did I throw it out? Did I throw it out?"
After finding the "spare" pressure plate I reliased that I did not have the
clutch alignment thingy.  After all I wasn't supposed to need it.  But I got it
all together in the end.  It took me 2 days.

   And for all those who have enjoyed recent days of sun and fun...  PISS OFF!!!

    :-)))

  I got to spend the last few days slogging through inches of mud to the shop,
  enduring 30-40 degree temperatures, humidity so high the MG dripped on me,
  and NO CLUTCH THINGY!!!

    :-))))

  Now a question......

   After replacing the pressure plate the clutch pedal depresses very easily
  but the clutch engages/disengages smoothly.  I don't think that it is the
  hydralics.  Can anybody tell me what the differences in the heavy-duty vs
  the normal duty pressure plates are?

       Tim