mini identification

To: sol@hoosier
Subject: mini identification
From: xgg2356@dcmdc.dla.mil (James Fuerstenberg)
Date: Mon Mar 2 09:13:06 1992
Re: Shel Halls question on Mini identification.

if it is a Austin Cooper the body number should be CA2S7L   -    ., if it is
a Morris Cooper, the number should be KA2S4L   -   .

If it is a real 1275 S, the motor will have tappet covers on the back of the
block and have an 11 stud head.  If there is no space at least for a stud
between the valve cover and thermostat housing, it is a small bore motor.

if it has no tappet covers, it is Austin America motor, probably a 1275.

there are some things that are hard to fake, those however are engine internals
and cannot be discovered by easy inspection.

Real S brakes have 7.5inch diameter rotors.  Coopers, non S have 7 inch
diameter rotors and are much less effective.

if it is a real 67, it should have twin tanks, not an option in that model year.

cooper or cooper s should have brakets for a trunk board in the rear.

all of the above can be faked, but it is a bit of work.

For more details, call our local mini expert, Jim Fletcher at (708) 931-1259,
he can also give you the telephone number in Atlanta of Art McKenzie, the
President of Mini Owners South, who also knows the cars.

good luck..

jim fuerstenberg        (312) 825-6818

                        "No matter where you go, there you are"

                                                        Buckaroo Banzai
jfuerstenberg@dcri.dla.mil or
xgg2356@dcri.dla.mil

The opinions stated herein are solely my own and not those of my employer.