9000+ lines of sfisher on hoosier.

To: british-cars@transfer.stratus.com (british-cars)
Subject: 9000+ lines of sfisher on hoosier.
From: southern@neit.cgd.ucar.EDU (Lawrence Buja)
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 93 14:15:43 MST
After hearing the pleas for the return of sfisher, I walked though
my files and bundled up my sfisher files and dropped them into
the british-car anonymous FTP archives as:

hoosier.cs.utah.edu:/pub/sol/sfisher_on_british_cars.text.Z

It's compressed, so use binary mode to ftp it back.

There's a groupload of text there, 9000+ lines.  My feeling is that
he's down with british-car overload.

Some juicy quotes...

"The fact that the men (and women, few though they were in that
 place and time) of Abingdon were able to make a sports car engine
 out of this great pedestrian antediluvian lump of ferrous feculence
 is further testimony that Syd Enever is, if not God, then at least
 one of His more gifted archangels."

"How to troubleshoot an electrical circuit using a cordless
 telephone and two large bottles of Newcastle Brown Ale:
    ring ring... ring ring... "Hey Andy, can you bring your
    DMM over to my house and help me find a wiring fault?" "

"Whenever anyone would ask how much MGs cost, I'd say "Four thousand
 dollars."  "Then the one I saw in the Pennysaver for $1500 must be
 a good deal?" they'd ask.  "No," I said, "it just means that you'll
 have to spend $2500 to get it to work right after you buy it."  I
 think the numbers might have gone up over time, but the concept is
 still right on the money."

"I don't think I'd want to drive an Isetta fast.  They look like an
 engorged tick, which can't be good for the center of gravity, and
 somehow I don't think the Radio Flyer tires would stand up to high
 speeds.  But a Messerschmidt, now...  visions of diving out of the
 clouds at the feelthy Allied pigdogs, sidling up to Jaguar owners
 with a cigarette holder clenched between your teeth and asking
 them, "Zo, you zay your car vass made in Cofentry, ja?  I haff
 never zeen it -- from ze grount, anyvay" and the like."

"Oh, and for the record: Drinking and driving are like oral sex and
 Jamaican Chunky Style Hell Hot pepper sauce -- great fun when
 separate, but a real pain when mixed.  I trust we're all grownups
 on this tour, and that I need say no more about it to avoid any
 liability problems.  Besides, you don't want to bend your LBC, do
 you?"

"Well, when we were a little boy of about five years old living in
 Sacramento, our dad's best friend had a white XK-120 with a black
 leather interior.  We can still remember the way that car smelled,
 warm leather, hair-jute pad slightly mildewed from poor seals on
 the roadster's hood, hot Castrol sizzling off the aluminum cylinder
 head; the sound as Dick Wells rev-matched the Moss gearbox through
 its paces on gently winding country roads, golden swellings in the
 earth nippled with dark green oak trees; the feeling of wind not
 only through our astronaut-emulating crewcut, but all down our side
 and back as the breeze of the Jag's passing swirled little eddies
 up over the cutaway doors and tickled our kidneys and short ribs
 like playful caresses.  The XK-140 kept the same basic body panels
 as the 120 but lost some of the grace in the trim as it gained Le
 Mans victories to record on the boot-lid plaque.  The XK-150 got
 thick in the middle with roll-up windows and a drophead roof that
 folded about halfway down like a VW Cabriolet, but in roadster form
 still manages to look like the smoothest of the 1?0 line."

/\      Lawrence Buja           Climate and Global Dynamics Division
  \_][  southern@ncar.ucar.edu  National Center for Atmospheric Research
      \_________________________Boulder,_Colorado___80307-3000__________