Re: More TR-6 Rear End

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: More TR-6 Rear End
From: FLAKE_JOE/HPATC1_04%mailhub.cs.itc.hp.com@mailhub.cs.itc.hp.com
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 93 06:29:52 -0700
This is behind the main discussion flow, but I'm a bit
slack in some of my reading...

The question was raised regarding pulling TR6 axle shafts and
getting the inner boot out through the hole.  When I replaced
U-joints I removed the first one this way.  You're right, it's
a real bitch!  My thoughts as I forced it through were along
the lines of "how the heck is this sucker gonna go BACK through
the hole when I'm finished".  A little looking provided the
solution.

During removal, make one of the first things you do be the removal
of the clamps holding the boot over the sliding joint.  Then
when flange attachments at both ends are done, you can pull the
outer axle half out through the hole.  The inner shaft just sort
of falls out to the side through the various components in the
area.  The boot doesn't have to come through the hole.  Assembly
is the reverse.  Bolt in the inner flange.  Put the sliding joint
boot over the inner shaft.  Squirt a bit more grease in the sliding
joint just to be sure.  Insert the outer shaft through the hole.
Bolt things together.  (Don't forget to move the sliding joint
boot back in place and use the wire clamps to seal its ends).

This process is probably obvious to most, but it took me
awhile to figure out.  If it saves someone the moments of panic
I experienced it's well worth the time taken to write down!

Joe
HP Norcross, GA
joe_flake@hpatc1.desk.hp.com