colortune kits-my experience

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: colortune kits-my experience
From: scottv@rpi.edu
Date: Fri, 22 Jan 1993 10:06:10 -0500
        Well, I got a colortune kit from TRF last fall, and tried to use it to
tune my '76 TR7.  I did not have much sucess with it, but I think it was mostly
because of my carbs.  I just can't seem to get the rear one (Strombergs both)
to run rich.  Even with the needle out all the way, I found it to be running
slightly lean.  Any suggestions?  Anyway, I had a lot of trouble getting the
front carb to show yellow with the kit in place (running rich).  My main
problemseemed to be that the cylinder in question would simply stop firing.  I
eventually gave up on the colortune, and went to adjusting the mixture by first
the idle quality, and then the plug color.  I now have the front carb pretty
close, while the rear carb is still a bit lean, with no more room left for
adjustment.  If I could only get the damn thing to start, then I could finish
my tuning.  Oh well...

Vaughan Scott
scottv@rpi.edu

P.S.: One other thing I found kind of annoying with the colortune kit was the
wire extender; I found that the electrode at the end of it was too small to
get a good connection with the spark plug wire (I'm running Lucas Sillycone
Sport wires), i.e, it's smaller than a real spark plug electrode.
VS