Re: Cosworth BDG, sports racer

To: drabik@solaris.gatech.edu (Timothy J. Drabik)
Subject: Re: Cosworth BDG, sports racer
From: miq@wv.MENTORG.COM (Miq Millman)
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 93 8:57:23 PST
Timothy J. Drabik says:

> around and come up with a few candidates in the 2.2l and bigger range:
>
> BMW M3 motor
>
> Olds quad-4
>
> Porsche inline 4

I remember seeing someone with a Formula Atlantic in the Bay Area with a
Buick 2.8l v6.  He had two triple throat webers taken off an early Porsche on
it, and some custom exhaust.  Claimed HP in the 220 range.

These motors are faily lightweight, and not too expensive.  There are a
number of sprites and whatnot running aroung with this blasphemous conversion
in them.  You might look into one of those.

Of course, building the car I am I have to plug the rotary engine, small
and light weight, you can easily get 175 HP with little work and have an
engine that will last 100,000 miles.  Toss some more go fast stuff and a
turbo and you can hit 300 hp easily.  Rotaries also have a significant
powerband when built for high revs.

Frankensprite's engine red lines around 14000, with loads of power between
5500 and 12700.  It puts out around 180 HP peak and should last a good long
time.

--

Miq Millman       miq@wv.mentorg.com         miq_millman@rainbow.mentorg.com
Mentor Graphics 8005 Boeckman Rd, Wilsonville OR 97070  503 685 1492   C2148