Re: Garages without mains electricity

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Garages without mains electricity
From: "Andrew C. Green" <dlogics!hermes.dlogics.com!acg@uunet.UU.NET>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1993 21:35:06 CST

..and Tim Dziechowski (timd@ptltd.com) writes:
> In a prior occupational incarnation, I used battery operated lights for
> booth display at shows where wires running across the floor were prohibited.
> A car battery will run two 100 watt bulbs for 6-8 hours before totally
> discharging.

I'm not sure exactly what kind of 100 watt light bulbs you're referring to;
can you elaborate? Do you mean the little high-intensity jobs found in desk
lamps?

If Paul is looking for a good caged drop-light for car work, I have come
across 12-volt versions that plug into the cigarette lighter. These are
_not_ scaled-down versions of the mains-voltage style, not tiny ones that
use a #1156 turn-signal bulb for lighting, but full-size units with a bulb
that looks identical to a household lamp, but is rated for 12 volts. These
are not very common (and Paul, I don't believe Sears is in the U.K., unfort-
unately), but might be useful in this situation if you have a good auto
parts supplier nearby that stocks them.

As for recharging the battery, if you're not using the one in the car, I've
seen solar-powered trickle chargers with a panel that you hang in a window.
Can't vouch for their quality, however, nor whether they can supply enough
oomph to do a recharge vs. a maintenance charge. Anyone else know?

Andrew C. Green
Datalogics, Inc.      Internet: acg@hermes.dlogics.com
441 W. Huron          UUCP: ..!uunet!dlogics!acg
Chicago, IL  60610    FAX: (312) 266-4473