Re: US series II vs III XJ6

To: scott@psy.uwa.edu.au
Subject: Re: US series II vs III XJ6
From: zrol01@trc.amoco.com (Richard O. Lindsay)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 93 10:24:23 CST
All of the Series II XJ6's in the US are rubber bumper style.
The US went grossly overboard on Pseudo-safety in the 70's
largely because of Ralph Nadar's rantings and his book "Unsafe
at Any Speed".  This same crap caused the XJ-S to be released
as a coupe' only as much fear surrounded the possible US ban
on open head cars.  It never happened but it did take almost
15 years to overcome the fear.

Lets just hope it doesn't happen again with polution control
and ozone holes.  There are people here that want to BAN the
use AND ownership of cars older than 10 (I think) years old!
I'm sure the auto industry thinks (privately) that this is a
WONDERFUL idea.  How can a few thousand expertly tuned LBCs
produce more polution than a few tens of millions of Japanese
Econo-boxes?  Give me a break.

My thoughts...

Rick