fuel pumps for fi

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: fuel pumps for fi
From: zrol01@trc.amoco.com (Richard O. Lindsay)
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 93 09:58:41 CST
I've been out of the office and have now just picked up on
the fuel pump trail.  How about advice on high pressure pumps.
My fuel rails are supposed to run at 35psi pressurized
by the fuel pump through pressure regulators.  This is
considered low-pressure for fuel injection when compared
to some of the early methods that worked as high as 200psi!
(The high pressure ones used the pressure to open the injector
with flow volume controlled by a mechanical distributor.)

The fuel pump must also flow quite a bit of fuel as a Jag V12
can really suck down the stuff.  12 miles/gal. is typical
around town unless your feeling frisky.

The Lucas part is about $250 and I would like to know of a
modern and cheaper replacement.   Any advice?

Rick

     Richard O. Lindsay        /     __  __      __  __
  Senior Research Scientist   /   / /_/ /_  / / /_/ /_/
  Amoco Production Research  /   / / / /_/ /_/ / / / \
                            / /_/
                           /
My opinions are my own, until they're worth something, at
which point they become the property of my employer...