Re: Makes me look pure little laegue...

To: British Cars <british-cars@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Makes me look pure little laegue...
From: sggy@crux2.cit.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1993 07:27:16 -0500
--- Forwarded mail from lye@elegans.wustl.edu (John Lye)
(so as to avoid those multiple copies...)

When Roger mentioned an extensive car collection and immaculate
workshop, he reminded me of my trip to Bob Sutherland's place.
Mr. Sutherland is the owner of Sutherland's Lumber, a Colorado
chain of lumber stores, and a vintage car fancier.  At the time,
I did a lot corner working for RMVR, and he was showing his
appreciation for the corner workers by inviting us down to inspect
his "garage".

Imagine, if you will, a very elegant house in a semi-rural area
south of Denver, where one's neighbors keep horses, with a barn
like structure behind (this house also has an underground squash
court and basketball court).  The barn, of course, was where the
cars were.  My eyes about popped out of my head, and I tripped on
my tongue when I saw what was in there.  This was several years
ago, so I've probably forgotten one or two of the more minor cars,
but the list includes several Bugattis, including an Atlantique
coupe, several Miller Indy cars, several Duesenberg race cars,
a Maserati birdcage, three 50's and 60's vintage Ferraris, the
Ferrari F1 car that Jackie Stewart used to win the World Championship,
a Cooper, an Alfa F1 car and probably one or two more that I've
forgotten.  He brought several of these out to the races, to keep them
exercised.  His brother later brought one of the Cobra Daytona
coupes out to one of our races, but it was geared wrong for the
short course and didn't do too well.

I'm sorry that there's only a slight britcar content here, but
I enjoyed being reminded of the memory of this collection by Roger.
Maybe its time to get into the lumber business!

John

--- End of forwarded message from lye@elegans.wustl.edu (John Lye)