Re: British Cars Digest #693 Sat Jan 9 01:15:02 MST 1993

To: british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: British Cars Digest #693 Sat Jan 9 01:15:02 MST 1993
From: dixon@fourfold.ocunix.on.ca (dixon kenner)
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1993 15:43:57 -0500
From: xgg2356@dcmdc.dla.mil (James Fuerstenberg)

Jim, a question about the 1071cc 'S' engine.  I have been offered one (a
short block recently rebuilt and bored out to 73.5mm) for $500cdn (about
$400us).  Though I would have to go and find a head etc, is this a wise
investment/replacement for the 1000cc lump currently inhabitating my summer
Mini?  I understand that the top speed will not be the greatest unless I
change the final gear in the gearbox, that it accelerates well, but that
parts, (especially the crank) can be either difficult or expensive to
replace.  The final cost of this effort could easily hit a $1,000+

An alternative, or course is a 1298cc engine from Mini Spares or
Mini Sport in the UK (the local Land Rover club is preparing/discussing
bringing a container over from the UK so shipping charges should not be out
of this world.) for about 570 pounds, or $1,400cdn including freight, duty
et cetera.

of course, there is yet another option for me to play with... consider
purchasing a '68 Mk II 1275 'S' (complete, all original, requiring only
the sills to be redone) for $4,600cdn.  The later is by far the most
expensive, but provides an original vehicle of the type I want (a Mk I
or II mini), can be paid for over time, and allows me to sell off the
'76 1000cc to subsidise the effort.

Comments?

Rgds,

Dixon