XJ6's next trick, was Jaguar on Holiday.

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: XJ6's next trick, was Jaguar on Holiday.
From: scott@psy.uwa.edu.au (Scott Fisher)
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 93 09:31:50 WST
Hi Again Guy's

Thanks for the feedback on Oil consumption.   I suspect (as was pointed
out to me) that once the carbon burned off the "hard to get to" places
parts seated better and reduced the flow of oil to the combustion chambers.
It looks like 90% of the oil was consumed in the first 2-3 hours of the
trip.  After that it was negligable.

And for my next trick the Jaguar XJ6 will now make hard-to-locate petrol
smells :-)

I can smell petrol in the cabin (after the car has been sitting for some time
in the sun or on hot days or after a warm drive).  The smell is comming from
somewhere around the boot and more specifically the right hand tank.  I have
ruled out the possibility of the fuel - filter, pump, return-valves, change
over valve or associated (in boot) connections and can't find any liquid
petrol anywhere it's not supposed to be :-)

I suspect something has come off or gone wrong with the vapour collection
/separation (pollution control) apparatus that lives in the rear pillar and
top inside boot.  When I open the RH tank after a run there is considerable
pressure build-up and a "whoosh" of petrol fumes and you can hear the tank
poping back into shape as I open the cap.  Is this normal?  I thought the
pressure should be bled off and the fumes sent to the canister under the RH
(front) wheel arch.  So what would you look at first in such a situation?

Regards Scott.
Scott Fisher [scott@psy.uwa.oz.au]  PH: Aus [61] Perth (09) Local (380 3272).

Department of Psychology                                    /      \    W + E
University of Western Australia.      Perth [32S, 116E]-->  *_.--._/      S
Nedlands, 6009.  PERTH, W.A.                                      v

Joy is a Jaguar XJ6 with a flat battery, a blown oil seal and an unsympathetic
wife, 9km outside of a small remote town, 3:15am on a cold wet winters morning.