Jaguar on holiday

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Jaguar on holiday
From: scott@psy.uwa.edu.au (Scott Fisher)
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 93 13:47:44 WST
Hi everyone...well over the christmass break I took my Jag (4.2 XJ6)
on a 1500km (900 mi) round trip (this was to my "home-town" Esperance about
450 miles from Perth).  This was the first time I have taken the Jag out of
the city limits since I got it and was (on average) about 450 miles from
sensible help if anything went wrong :-)  Anyhow...much to my delight it was
perfectly reliable and returned about 22-25 mpg depending on my speed and
air-con use (here in West Aus the open road limit is 70mph).

Driving it was a breeze...quiet, comfortable and cool.  I can't remember any
corners that upset the car...pitty about the 70mph speed limit :-) the XJ6
certainly was at home on the open countary roads.

One behaviour that did confuse me was that on the trip to Esperance travelling
continuously for 7 hours at 70 mph (a few 10-30 minute breaks/driver changes
thrown in) the Jag consumed about 0.2 gal of oil (I work in metric so excuse
the funny representations...it was infact 750 ml).   However on the same
trip home about a week later it didn't consume a drop...perhaps 0.02 gal (100
ml) at the most.

Additional data: the engine is 10 years old with about 50K miles on it (It was
in storage between 1985-88). The oil is a good quality W25-60 that is one of
the best non-synthetic brands avaliable in Australia "Penrite HPR30". Do
you guys get Penrite in the US?

So...anyone have any explanation for the above wierd oil consumption pattern?

Thanks in advance

Scott # 2
Scott Fisher [scott@psy.uwa.oz.au]  PH: Aus [61] Perth (09) Local (380 3272).

Department of Psychology                                    /      \    W + E
University of Western Australia.      Perth [32S, 116E]-->  *_.--._/      S
Nedlands, 6009.  PERTH, W.A.                                      v

Joy is a Jaguar XJ6 with a flat battery, a blown oil seal and an unsympathetic
wife, 9km outside of a small remote town, 3:15am on a cold wet winters morning.