Re: Shooting-brake

To: british-cars@hoosier.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Shooting-brake
From: Garry Archer <archer@hsi.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1993 16:43:43 -0500
When I first read the query, I remembered from my days as an English
Country peasant that a Shooting Brake was synonymous with "Station
Wagon" as used in Yankeeland or "Estate Car" as used in Britain.

I used to hear the term used so often, I was smug with myself waiting
for all the various replys (some are indeed funny...) some of you
have already made.  But then I too realised I knew absolutely nothing
when it came down to the nitty-gritty of explaining _why_ its called
a Shooting Brake!

Well, it seems that we all have assumed that the "Shooting" part is
to do with the Landed Gentry's fondness for downing a few birds as
a means of some sport.  We have assumed that the vehicle in question
is assigned to convey these ol' sports to their task.

So someone designed this vehicle, I assume, and wanted to give it a
fancy name.  "Shooting Car"?  Hmmmm, not fancy enough!

I have taken the liberty of looking up the word "brake" in my little,
but reliable Collins English Gem Dictionary.  A "brake" it seems, is
a "large wagonette"!!!

So there you go!  Not a "Shooting Car/Truck/Wagon" but a Wagonette.
Hmmmm, what the blinkin' 'eck is a wagonette, I wondered and continued to
peruse my Collins.

A "wagonette" (or "waggonette") is; a four-wheeled open carriage with
lengthwise seats.

Vait un minut!!!  "Open carriage"?  I don't remember any Shooting Brake
being open or topless like some convertible.  Well, perhaps not.  But
that is some fancy name, huh?  Should keep folks guessing for years!  :-)

PS:  Now if I was real smart I would have looked up "Shooting Brake" in
my Collins to start.  But I didn't.  I looked it up last... and there is
no entry for it!

Garry Archer Esq.       archer@hsi.com
3M Health Information Systems,  Wallingford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"An Englishman never enjoys himself, except for a noble purpose." - A.P.Herbert