Re: TR6 Rear Suspension

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, hood@uswest.com
Subject: Re: TR6 Rear Suspension
From: rgb@hal.com (Roger Bolick)
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 93 08:59:14 CST
I'll send you my cheat sheet on this subject with some
hints, etc.  In short:

trailing arm bushings - inspect only, all pain, little gain
rear springs - replace with stock versions, the new
  ones are not supposed to sag with time.  If you have
  a '69-'71.5 use "used" later model springs only

1.  competition - rides like a truck.
2.  use all stock parts for the street, I've heard rumors
    of mount breakage with "hard" parts, I don't want to
    buy new trailing arms.  Bring it back to like-new, then
    add a rear sway bar, etc. if you don't like it... you will!
3.  lever shocks work fine when rebuilt, use new links to
    remove the slack at the mount points.  performance engr.
    was going to offer "gas" lever shocks??
4.  Do all the U-joints with the TRF major kit.  And add the
    diff mounting kit to your list.  Its not worth having to
    do this again.  Use new slip joint rubber and grease these.
    (same for any exhaust work)  and put in a new pinion seal!
5.  inspect/reweld right front rear end bracket if broken.

Roger
(direct/indirect experience with 5 TR6 rear ends)