Re: welders

To: hiss@fionn.lbl.gov (Eric Hiss) (Eric Hiss)
Subject: Re: welders
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdln.spd.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 91 12:34:24 PDT
Eric points out a lot of good stuff:|
| I run a small business, Jetson Iron, outside of my daily life as a scientist
| where both types of welders are in use.  I doubt very much that any pro would
| ever consider using an arc welder or stick welder for auto uses.
|
| First off, its very difficult to weld thin metal with a stick welder. It can
| be done but not easily. Mig welders can weld down to about .010 sheet.
|
| All production welders use Mig welders as there is little time in clean up
| of the weld. Another nice aspect of the Mig is that you can weld many
|different
| types of metal easily. Stainless and Aluminum weld very nicely as well as
|bronze.

.......but.... He's talking about industrial quality equiptment. Most cheap
"home"
quality Migs may be good (or even very Good) for thin sheelmetal, like fenders,
But
don't have the power for anything much thicker. If you need to weld a frame
bracket
or a trailer hitch, or a trailer frame, a cheap "farm" quality stick welder can
do
a good serviceable job, though it will blow away thin stuff like fenders.
/dickn