Help Stecz look at a Bugeye

To: stecz@hotwheel.dell.com (John Steczkowski)
Subject: Help Stecz look at a Bugeye
From: phile@pwcs.StPaul.GOV (Philip J Ethier)
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 91 9:06:54 CDT
NOTE:  I TOOK THE LIBERTY OF SENDING THIS TO THE BRITCAR LIST SO WE COULD HELP
JOHN OUT.  FOR THOSE THAT DO NOT KNOW JOHN, HE IS A REGULAR ON THE AUTOCROSS
LIST.  PLEASE SEND RESPONSES TO HIM AT     stecz@hotwheel.dell.com
FEEL FREE TO CORRECT MY COMMENTS TO JOHN, IF APPROPRIATE.

John Steczkowski writes>

>You're into old British iron, right?

Actually, I am now into British Plastic  :-)

>I saw a Bugeye Sprite at a local dealership, I'm not sure what year it is.
>Although I guess
>it doesn't make much difference, since they were only made for three years.
>Anyway, it seems to be in real good shape, not perfect, but no rust,

NO RUST is a very important point.  You don't see them like that much up here.
If it was never rusted and repaired, this is very good.  Check the area of the
rear spring mounts very carefully.

>decent paint, real good interior, all parts are there.

Good.  Check the seats.   If you can determine that they are original, you are
in fat city, collector-wise.  The original rubber floormats are hard to find, I
believe, so if those are there, this is also very good.  Bugeyes did not have
carpet.

>It does have some upgrades, like dual SU carbs,

These are standard on a Bugeye Sprite, on a 948cc engine.  The engine in this
car may be original (better collector value) or a 1098 (not much advantage in
driving for the loss of collector value) or 1275 (much better engine for
driving, same loss of collector value).  Tell us the serial number.

>front disks

These are updates to later "Spridget" specs.  The disks are FAR better for
driving, some loss of collector value.  The installation is completely
reversible, but you have to have the parts.

>and an oil cooler.

The oil cooler is a good deal in Texas, I never really needed one in my 1275
Spridget up here in Minnesota.  If it is an update to later Spridget specs, the
loss of collector value may be lessened.  If it is an aftermarket with a
spin-on oil filter conversion, it will be more convenient, with suitable loss
of collector value.

>The initial asking price is $5200, this sounds a little high to me.

This would be too high for a Spridget, unless it was PERFECT.  For a Bugeye it
may be OK.  The Bugeyes are commanding much higher prices, both for original
and "updated" (1275, discs, later wide wheels [4.5"!]) examples.  Spridgets are
easier to live with, having opening trunks.  The later Spridgets have Roll-up
windows.

>What do you think, what are things I should look for.

Rust, hidden body damage, rust, odd modifications that are hard to retro later,
rust, incorrect steering wheel, rust, fit of the bonnet and doors, rust,
instruments all work, and did I mention to look for hidden rust?

Warning:  Do not drive this car if you ever want to be happy with the steering
in your RX-7 again.  Bugeyes and Spridgets have telepathic steering like a
racing cart.  At your next autocross, you will be muttering about the slow,
mushy steering in the Mazda, even though you like it now.  The gearchange is
damn nice, too.  Get a spare (save the original for the collector value) lever
and cut it to 2/3 it's normal length and you will swear it is the best you have
ever shifted.

Phil Ethier, THE RIGHT LINE, 672 Orleans Street, Saint Paul, MN  55107-2676
h (612) 224-3105, w (612) 298-5324  phile@pwcs.stpaul.gov or uiucuxc!pwcs!phile
"The workingman's GT-40" - Colin Chapman

--
Login name: phile                       In real life: Philip J Ethier
Phone: 298-5324