Re: Fiberglass firewalls

To: tj@alpine.b17a.ingr.com
Subject: Re: Fiberglass firewalls
From: schuette@roadkill.nrl.navy.mil (Larry Schuette)
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 91 17:21:50 EDT
Well, what's worse:   a el cheapo fiberglass (blown glass, not even
a good weave)     or  b 3/4" plywood with 4 layers of fiberglass on it
so that the wood is only a "strength member"?

Actually, the car was purchased after a fire.  The whole rear end was
destroyed.  We replaced the remains of the firewall (that was burned thru)
with a plywood/fiberglass "firewall".  With twin fueltanks surrounding the
engine, a Lotus europa is a firetrap by definition.  I carried a CO2
bottle with me at all times (inside the passenger compartment)!!

Larry
        "No guts, no glory.  If you're going to shoot him down,
        you have to get in there and mix it up with him."  Major Blesse

Lawrence C. Schuette                      schuette@roadkill.nrl.navy.mil
Code 5133                                 (202)767-2739
Naval Research Laboratory
Washington D.C. 20375-5000