MGB starter

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: MGB starter
From: bobj@meaddata.com (Robert Jones)
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 91 14:18:23 EDT
I've been having an ongoing battle with getting my MGB started.  The problem
occurs when it is hot out and the car has been run at sometime during the day,
I have not yet had it fail the first time I try in the morning.  What will
usually happen is the engine will turn over three or four times, then the
starter will cut out, then I'll try again and get nothing.  If I wait
a minute or two and try again it might crank once or twice, then nothing.

I think I have traced the problem to the ciruit to the starter relay because
I opened up the relay and closed the contacts manually and the engine turns
over with no problem.  Sunday, I thought I had found the problem.  I thought
it was the ground wire from the relay, the screw was rusted and the contact
didn't look very clean.  I cleaned it up with some sandpaper, put it together
and it worked.  Until today on my way to lunch.  I plan to clean it up
more after work, but I may want to look at the rest of the circuit too.
The yellow with pink wire eventually goes from the relay to a black box
called "sequential seatbelt control" (or something) the red and white wire
goes from the ignition switch to this box also.  How does this circuit get
closed in this black box?  My Haynes manuel had a diagram, but it doesn't
do that great of a job.  BTW, this is a '74, was this when there was some law
requiring that the seatbelt be used for the car to start?  (this "feature"
has been disabled and could be the root of my problem)

I know the starter itself isn't the problem, since I switched it with a spare.
Ditto for the relay.

Also, why have this relay anyway?  Isn't the solenoid a relay whose purpose
is to limit the amount of current that has to go through the ignition switch?
Does the solenoid require so much current it need a relay?

Thanks for any input.

Bob

p.s. Coming soon oil cooler installation.