Tied House photo swap

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Tied House photo swap
From: PRAINE@cmsa.gmr.com
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 91 16:06:11 EST
From:    Raine, Paul J. (GM Research Labs)
         Electrical and Electronics Engineering
         (313)986-0793  praine@cmsa.gmr.com

I just returned from a week long trip to San Jose, CA. where
I met with some SOLs on August 7th to drink some ALE and talk
about british cars.  This was the long awaited and much celebrated
"Bay Area BEER night" at the Tied House Cafe and Brewery.  I posted
an original request to the list over a month ago, to see if there
was any interest in such a BEER night, and was rather disappointed
when I only got two serious replies.  However, I was pleasantly
surprised last Wednesday night in Mountain View when 17 people
showed up at the microbrewery!!

The night was filled with good beer, good food, and good company  -
as well as FIZZBALL t-shirts, photo swapping, and brit-car stories.
All in all, I felt the get-together was a resounding success!
I'd like to thank Jeff Z. and Daren S. for responding to my original
posting and for suggesting the Tied House - quite a popular place!

Another place I visited & highly recommend is "The Penny Farthing
Tavern" in Olde Towne Salinas, CA.  They have 8 british beers on tap,
and excellent fish & chips.  This place is "british owned and operated"
and the decor is distinctively british.

Well, enuf about food and drink.   Daren suggested that I stop at two
places while in town, since my interest is mainly MG's.
1) O'Connor Classic Autos in Santa Clara - a Moss distributor.
-and-
2) Bonnet MG Classics - A fascinating MG body shop/parts warehouse/junkyard
                        in San Jose.

I visited both places on Saturday before flying back to Detroit.  I gave
the owner of #2 a beer glass from the Penny Farthing Tavern since it wouldn't
fit in my suitcase, and poked around for about an hour.  This place (Bonnet)
is INCREDIBLE!  MGA's, B's, T.D. - T.F. - T.C.'s in parts and whole take up
two warehouses full of stuff.  This is a "MUST SEE" for any MG buff that
visits the area.  As the owner - M.G. (Mike) Temperino says: "This place
is like an Automotive Disneyland for adults"

Next, I went to O'Connor Classic Autos to see what an organized MG parts
place looks like. Or, as Daren puts it: "The pretty place".  Being from
the MidWest, it was nice to see some of the books and parts that are
listed in the MOSS catalog instead of guessing what they REALLY look like.

Well, time to fill out my #@%! expense report.  Thanks to Daren and Wendy,
Mike, Sandy, Larry, Dick, Andy and all the others who showed up at the
Tied House for making this business trip worthwhile!  If any of you folks
on the Brit-cars list visit Detroit, give me a holler - I'll take you to
my favourite watering hole.    - Paul

"Just remember... No matter WHERE you go - THERE you are!"
- My Travel Agent