Re: TR6 Oil Press/Temp revisted.

To: key@cs.utk.edu
Subject: Re: TR6 Oil Press/Temp revisted.
From: Dick Nyquist <dickn@hpspdln.spd.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 91 11:29:48 PDT
| 3/4 scale mark, which seems high.  I've been thinking my fuel
| gauge has been reading full for way too long, so I'm suspecting
| a bad voltage stabilizer.  What's the stablizer supposed to put
| out?  I think 10Volts, but I can't find a reference in
| the Bentley's manual and I've lost my Haynes (and most of my
| mind).
| Ken Key  (key@cs.utk.edu)

Ken
I doubt you will get a specific voltage from a manual. The way those
old mechanical switch satablizers work is, they switch from whatever the
full voltage your electrical system is putting out to off. There is no
"10v" level. The bimetalic strip just gets hot and shuts it off. It switches
at a fairly slow rate. Naturaly your guages would go nuts if they were fast
reacting,
but they've slowed the reaction time of those guages way down so the  average
it out.
So...If your electrical system were running at 15v and tey shut it off 33% of
the time it AVERAGES 10V. If they were doing it today they would probably do
it with a zener diode and a resistor and then put it in a "black box" and charge
us $195.00 for it.
//dickn