Voltage anomaly on my 79 MGB

To: british-cars@encore.com
Subject: Voltage anomaly on my 79 MGB
From: Don.Adams@ebay.sun.com (Don Adams Secure Products Syst Eng Sun Federal)
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 91 15:06:32 PDT
        Well gang here's the story of my latest MGraine headache.

        Whenever the electric fans kick in to cool off the coolant in my
        radiator my system voltage drops to about 10.8v. As a result when
        other things need voltage (vs current) to function properly such as
        the turn signals, dash lights etc they are marginal if operable at
        all. I suspect that the current draw from the fans is too high for
        either my alternator or my battery but am unsure as to which. Has
        anyone overcome this problem?

        I would appreciate any experiences you have with this problem.

        Thanks

        Don