re: MG oil pressure and rebuilds

To: british-cars-local@wsl.dec.com
Subject: re: MG oil pressure and rebuilds
From: garnett@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 90 15:13:44 EST
>From: jean@spock.usc.edu (jean hertzberg)

>     I think your suggestion about the fluctuating oil pressure loss in
>the rocker bearings may be right. My question now is, how do I check
>those bearings? When I had the rocker assembly off during the rebuild,
>I just slid the rockers aside a bit and inspected the shaft surface,
>and felt for excessive wiggle in the rocker arms.

This is a fairly good test. The rocker shafts often get pretty worn
and/or scored, and the bearings in the arms get sloppy & ovaled.
Many people ignore this source of oil pressure loss & rocker noise.
If you've got the head apart, check it! You *may* be able to get
away with de-torquing the the head, and removing the rocker shaft
with out having to replace the head gasket, but I wouldn't count
on it. (It might help to only loosen the other head bolts a bit,
to avoid warpage, but not enough to unload the gasket.)

In this case, (rapid fluctuation of pressure levels) I strongly
reccommend verifying the test equipment (guage, sender) before making
unpleasant mechanical repairs. If you can't trust your test equipment,
it's pretty hard to make a good diagnosis with it.  You've should be
able to find a temporary oil pressure guage of some sort. If not
an actual MG sender, how about a mechanical guage from another car
or truck? Borrow one. Or buy a $15 guage from k-mart- the mechanical
kind with the plastic tubing which needs to be carefully placed.
Something, so you can say yes, it's still doing it, or no it doesn't
happen with this guage...

   ________
  /___  _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@BATCOMPUTER.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /|   ||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   |
| |___||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| | \  |   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \|  \ |__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | SAFETY FAST!