Re: When you want to go racing ...

To: british-cars-local@wsl.dec.com
Subject: Re: When you want to go racing ...
From: garnett@theory.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Garnett)
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 90 10:24:00 EST
Andy aquires:
>an MGBGT Special, and that it had a wood steering wheel

I have, (striped, in the back of the barn, waiting for some day...)
a 67 GT with wood steering wheel, the proper mirror, but not
the plaque. Same thing, almost...  Hey- there's no records- it was
a dealer installed option. I can buy a plaque, and join the
67-GT Special register. (yes, there is one.)

>The oil cooler sits,
>disconencted, right in front of the radiator.  A single hose, wrapped
>in oil-soaked duct tape runs from the oil cooler outlet to the oil
>filter.

Yummy.

>A look under the car showed the late rear axle (damn, wanted the
>early one)

Why? Are the 3 or so early rear ends I've got good for something
special?

>It's a this point that I notice a little switch
>on the dashboard in the "overdrive" position. [slugish stuff, etc]

Hmmm. I'm not sure how to read this. The OD should only actuate in
3rd and 4th. Even the manual tells you how easy it is to trash the
clutches, etc., if you go into reverse with the OD engaged. Is this
a 3 or 4 syncro trans? The newer OD is supposed to be beefer, but
both are, uh, er, fun? I think I'd like to find an OD for our 74 GT road
crusier.
   ________
  /     _  \        Roger Garnett           (garnett@BATCOMPUTER.TN.CORNELL.EDU)
 /   /||  \ \       Agricultural Economics   |
| |\/ ||  _  |      3 Warren Hall            | South Lansing Centre For
| |   ||   | |      Cornell University       | Wayward Sports Cars
 \    ||__/ /       Ithaca, N.Y. 14853       | (607) 533-7735
  \________/        (607) 255-2522           | SAFETY FAST!