re: like I said, speaking of tools...

To: "bcr!wsl.dec.com!kent"@bellcore.bellcore.com
Subject: re: like I said, speaking of tools...
From: mit-eddie!bellcore.bellcore.com!taichi!whs70@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (W. H. Sohl)
Date: 16 Sep 1990 17:03 EDT
>Having satisfied my quest for cheap safety wire pliers, I was ready to
>buy a decent vise. My friend with the machine shop says "Buy a Wilton
>4.5" machinist's vise and be done with it". Well, such a vice costs
>between $250 and $350, depending on where you buy it. It's a hell of a
>nice vice ... but that seems just a tad much.
>
>Anyone know where to get one cheaper, or have words of wisdom about
>alternates?
>
>I'm also in search of a decent workbench, or plans/suggestions for
>same. Any suggestions? I figure if I work this all right, I'll save
>almost enough money to buy an air compressor...
>
>thanks,
>chris

Why do I know this response will generate the buy US vs Cheap Import
stuff again.  Oh well, here goes anyway!

I buy two kinds of tools, those that I know will take a constant
and frequent use/abuse.  For those, I have never been disappointed
with Sears Craftsman.  I know S&K are great also, but I can always
(7 days a week) go to Sears and get a new tool or replace a defective
one without any hassle.  Just last Saturday, I bought another
box wrench, and while there I exchanged an 11/16 deep socket that
had a crack develop in it.  I have a set of sockets and ratchets
that go back to my 21st birthday and by now I have replaced at no
cost: numerous sockets, the 3/8 breaker bar at least 3 times and
one or two other pieces.  At no time was I ever hassled about
how or what broke the tool.  As I said, for these high use/abuse
tools, Craftsman is for me and I willingly pay the price for new
additions to my tool box.

On the other hand, there are many tools which I want, but know I don't
use as frequently to warrant the quality that goes with the
Craftsman line.  To date, I have been more than satisfied with
tools purchased direct from Harbor Frieght (1-800-423-2567) or
from the vendors that sell the same type of imported stuff at
the Carlisle Flea Market.  All of my pneumatic tools are of
that type as are several complete sets of sockets and ratchets
which I keep in each car.  The socket sets in each car cost about
$4 and as such minimize my concern about theft, yet provide a
good enough set of emergency tools should I need them on the road.

As for the air power tools, again, the use I put them to isn't that
frquent, nor are they normally used in an abusive fashion, so again:
the import stuff has served me well.  For under $100, I have a 3/8
drive air ratchet, an air hammer, an air drive and an air
sander.  Speaking of air tools, the best investment I ever made
was purchasing an air compressor.  Again, that was a Sears 2HP
unit with a 20 Gallon tank.  As with anything of that nature made
by Sears, I got it on a big sale catalog price.  I have it about 8
years now and it is truly something I couldn't live without anymore.

Here again, while the compressor is Sears, the hoses, fittings, etc.
can all be found from Harbor Frieght at considerably cheaper prices.
So, I think if those that read this take my qualifying criteria
as a quide, the choice of what brand/quality to buy can be a
major dollar factor and, if done carefully, can be made without
jeopardizing ones tool box, their capabilities or their pocket book.

Oh yes, I have one major S&K tool that is great: a "click-type"
torque wrench that has seen much use and is well worth the money.
A torque wrench, due to the calibration it should have, isn't
something to cut corners on.

Bill Sohl