It's started...

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: It's started...
From: mit-eddie!wsl.dec.com!sfisher@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 90 10:09:40 PDT
Well, as many of you know (and some have even seen), I got
the new front end pieces on the Mostly Racing Green '71
MGB last week, just in time for the All British Car
Show.  It went together fairly quickly, even allowing
for the fact that I had to undo part of it when I
realized that the spring compressor I have won't fit
between the upper and lower A-arms on an MGB.  Fortunately,
you don't need one, just a *really* good floor jack.

The good news is that the handling seems improved,
and even better is that about 80% of the clunking that
I'd heard from the front end has stopped.  And there
is my downfall.  I've improved ONE thing on the car,
and it stands out.

Now I want to do the other side of the front suspension,
then put new bushings in the rear leaf springs.  New shocks
are next, then new wire-wheel hubs (when I put the tires on
the wires I got from Pete's '72).  I've located a nice sporty
Ansa exhaust system (thanks, Andy!), which will take care of
the sound effects.  Then I need interior panels, snaps for
the carpet kit that's loose in the car now, and new seat covers,
as well as a dashboard cap.  The brakes could stand rebuilding
about that time, and of course I'll want to replace the torn
top.  And with the new top, I'll need new paint, and those
stainless trim pieces all need to be replaced, and I might as
well get Lucas tripod headlights while I'm at it.

Then I'll want to install the overdrive transmission I've just
acquired, and as long as the motor's out, I should freshen it
up just to take care of some of the oil leaks...

This could be a full-time job if I'm not careful!