Re: wood dash finishes

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM, twakeman@apple.com
Subject: Re: wood dash finishes
From: Roland Dudley <mit-eddie!dtc.hp.com!cobra@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 90 16:49:16 pdt
>Just one problem.  I have seen do it yourself veneer jobs that look good the
>fist few weeks but age poorly.  I think it is a matter of the finish. Factory
>wood pannels are finished with something that looks thick & adds depth to the
>finished product.  Does anyone know what the finish is?  Is there any tricks to
>installing veneer to dashes & the proper finsih that I should be aware of?

>As far as the instrument pannel is concerened. Since the shape is slightly
>concave, I was thinking of feathering the edges & holding the veneer in place
>with the gauges.  That way I could remove it at a later time without
>damaging the original pannel {pros - cons}.  I have seen some tacky home
>done veneer jobs & I keep noticing that the finish on the wood itself is
>responsible for much of the tacky flavour.  Any thoughts?

>TeriAnn

TeriAnn,

If your interested, I can send you a copy of the article on refinishing
wooden steering wheels.  The procedure would probably be similar to
doing the finish on a veneer panel with the exception that the old
finish wouldn't have to be removed.  One of the products mentioned in
the article is called Tru-Oil which is used to refinish gun stocks.
It's available in gun shops and perhaps hardware stores that cater to
hunters.  It does give a "depth" to the finish (I used it on my wheel)
but probably not what you had in mind.  I suspect you are referring to
the very glossy "glass-like" finish I've seen on the dash on some brit
cars.  There is a clear casting epoxy that can be used for this purpose.
It's available in some hardware stores.  Look in the section where
fiberglass resins and glass cloth are kept.  This stuff is often used to
finish coffee tables and bar-top counters.  Also check places that
specialize in boat building materials and finishes.  There ought to be
lots of them where you are.  They may have something especially designed
for exterior use.

As far as not attaching the veneer to you original dash, I'm not sure
this would work out too well.  The veneer itself is very thin and
probably wouldn't be stiff enough to stay in place .  Also it would be
difficult to put a good finish on it unless it was firmly attached to
something more solid.  Instead, I recommend using your old panel as a
pattern to make a new one out of plywood.  That way you still have you
old one as a backup in case the new one doesn't come out the way your
want.  Get solid core plywood (the kind used to make cabinets) because
it provides a solider base and will hold hardware (screws, etc.)
better.  If it's available, use marine grade plywood.  It's made with a
special water-proof glue and won't separate as a result of high humidity
and exposure to weather.  Be sure to use a water-proof (not water
resistant) glue to attach the veneer too.

Roland Dudley
cobra@hpcilsn.HP.COM