Re: Spit 1500 cylinder heads

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM, mit-eddie!gatech!drabik@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Subject: Re: Spit 1500 cylinder heads
From: mit-eddie!iris.ucdavis.edu!hill@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Rich Hill)
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 90 13:50:03 PDT
When I replaced the engine on my '79 Midget (a brand new short block was
available), the only difference was that the new block had flat pistons
as opposed to the dished ones in my old, 7.5:1 block.  I was told at the
time that this was because it was a 9:1 block and this seems to make sense.
The compression is noticeably higher as I now need to use premium unleaded
(ouch...) in order to avoid pinging.  I can't see any other reason for
dishing the pistons other than a simple way to lower the compression.  Sure
beats machining a new head.

Anybody else got any info on this/

Rich Hill
hill@iris.ucdavis.edu