Modified cars and competition

To: BRITISH-CARS <@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk:BRITISH-CARS@alliant.com>
Subject: Modified cars and competition
From: mit-eddie!cr83.staffordshire-polytechnic.ac.uk!CSTMJS@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 90 10:28 GMT
We have all the same problems with modified vs authentic etc in the UK.  As far
as Historic/Vintage sports cars racing goes, the options are stock or modified
using period-type mods.  Other series of races exist for "anything goes",
kitcars and replicas, single makes etc etc.

It all gets very confusing!  My only involvement with competition is in sprints
where my road car, a series 2 Dutton Phaeton is classed as "Sports-Racing".
Thisis because the engine, a UK Ford X-Flow, started out life as an 80bhp
Cortina
Mk 2 GT (1.6 Ltr) and is now a fully modded 1.7 sprint spec engine at 140 bhp.
This of course means I get to race the latest Caterham 7s the HPC version of
which runs a Cosworth BDR of 175bhp as stock(modded 200 easy).  There is
actually a Lotus/Caterham 7 race series and how they cope with the difference
between a Mk 1 Lotus 7 and a Caterham 7 HPC is anyones guess!

Mark Stiles