Persistant Idle Problem

To: british-cars@Alliant.COM
Subject: Persistant Idle Problem
From: mit-eddie!EBay.Sun.COM!mutchler@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Dan Mutchler)
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 90 07:29:36 PDT
Okay, I found 3 vacuum hoses that were split or not properly clamped
and they have been repaired. The idle now seems to have settled a
bit although it still hunts some. But now when I disengage the clutch
the idle dives so low that the car typically stalls. If I bring the
idle down slowly it will settle in around 1,000 RPM and stay there.

I'm thinking that maybe my throttle bypass valve is shot or misadjusted.
The manual says that this little beast can't be adjusted but must
be replaced. Is this the most likely problem or do I still have
something more obvious that should be checked?

Dan Mutchler                       | ARPA/Internet:  mutchler@EBay.Sun.COM
Sun Federal System Engineer        | UUCP:           ...!sun!mutchler
Any clod can have the facts, but having opinions is an Art.
        H.L. Mencken