A Lotus Trip

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM (British-Cars)
Subject: A Lotus Trip
From: Mike Johnson <mit-eddie!hplabs!hpupora!mikej@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 90 10:12:00 PDT

   I took the Lotus, a '74 Europa, to pick up my wife from Fort Townsend
   WA.  We took the  weekend to go around  the  Olympic  Peninsula.  Car
   went well.  Gets hot in the sun.  We started to drive up to Hericain?
   Ridge.  Car was  heating  up.  Temp over  100C.  Neat road but people
   driving 10-15 mph below the posted corner speeds.  Frustrating!  Then
   we came to the toll booth.  Since the car was getting real hot and we
   had a long way to go to the motel, where our  garenteed  reservations
   were, I  turned  around.  Will  leave  the  trip up the  mountain  to
   another time.

   I got  stopped by the WSP.  He was  sitting  on the  inside of a nice
   left hand  bend.  Didn't see him until too late.  I was doing over 65
   in the 55, but just  loafing in 5th.  He just turned on his lights as
   I was going  through the corner.  I waved and got over to the side of
   road before he got going.  Then I discover  that my drivers lic.  was
   in the  other  wallet.  It was sort of  comical,  me  talking  to his
   knees, and the patrolman  having to bend over until his hat wanted to
   fall off.  Turns out that he had driven an Elite many years  ago.  We
   discuss  the car.  I give him all my id,  birthdate,  etc.  He  heads
   back to his car to call me in and says,  sort of in  passing,  "Oh by
   the way you were going too fast."  Lets me off with a warning  for 66
   and driving  without lic.  I watch the speedo very carefully the rest
   of the way.  Which in itself is no small feat as the sun has made the
   dash hood droop and cover the top of the speedo.

   The end result is that  driving  with the traffic is OK, but fighting
   it is doomed to ruin a trip.  We slowed  down and  enjoyed  the road.
   Very relaxing.

--
 Mike Johnson
 Systems Engineer             UUCP:           hpupora!mikej