rubber boot maintenance

To: british-cars%alliant.alliant.com@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: rubber boot maintenance
From: mit-eddie!RELAY.CS.NET!WALZER%enp.prime.com@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: 19 Jun 90 19:32:07 EDT
  After reading T Higgins' report on clutch slave cylinder rubber boot
failure, two other important rubber boots come to mind. The disk brake
piston rubber dust boots and CV joint boots on newer cars require
periodic inspection and replacement.

Caution is necessary when cleaning rubber parts. I typically use
gasoline as a cheap cleaning fluid which is OK for neopreme parts
(most rubber parts?). Recently, I've found that gas expands the
rubber of disk piston dust boot and thus they become no good.
For lack of being sure what is safe to use, I use brake fluid to
clean brake parts.

I had to replace a CV joint on my VW. I consider this to be a premature
failure due to the CV joint's rubber boot being slightly twisted when
installed at the factory. Being twisted, I assume the misalignment of
the folds in the boot caused it to tear. Believe me, CV joints do not
like dirt at all and are expensive.

Spraying rubber parts with silicone would help to preserve them.

....happy Healeying!    Duane Walzer WALZER@ENP.PRIME.COM