about ignitions...and a car for sale

To: british-cars@alliant
Subject: about ignitions...and a car for sale
From: muller@Alliant.COM (Jim Muller)
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 90 12:04:43 EDT

Zahid writes:
 PS. Jim Muller has a different kind of ignition setup that may be just
    as good and maybe even cheaper.

Ummm, the electronic ignition on my Spitfire is what it had when I bought it,
a Lucas system!  I think it is the Constant Energy Ignition system (CEI), but
I don't remember unless I go look.  Lucas made two different electronic
ignition systems, and the first one was not nearly as good as the second (mine
is the second).  It was supposedly developed for Jaguar and made available
as an upgrade to other JRT marques.  It has been a while (over 2 years) since
I worried about those details.  It was not cheap, as I understand it.  I has
run quite flawlessly, except for one time when a connection on the power module
got all corroded, and it just stopped.  I stopped even bothering to check the
ignition timing because it doesn't budge, being a breakerless system.  I have
no other experience with electronic ignitions but if I had to buy something
else, I'd probably go for an Allison.

There is this gas-station/used-car-lot on Rt. 27 near the Acton/Maynard line
that I drive by on my way to work (in the Spitfire , sans chapeau, if I am
taking that route).  For a while now, maybe all this spring, they have had this
Morris Minor 1000 on display with a for-sale sign on it.  It looks very nice,
not rusty or dented, though not showroom/concourse/restored.  I stopped by
today (I was stuck behine a Cadillac at 25 mph)  and asked about it.  Baby blue
paint, seemingly all there.  The man said it was a '64, was running (but he
wasn't the owner so he didn't know much about it), and the asking price was
$895.  Just thought you'd all like to know.

Jim Muller