my MGB clutch, my life

To: british-cars@alliant.Alliant.COM
Subject: my MGB clutch, my life
From: mit-eddie!cgl.ucsf.EDU!gregoret@EDDIE.MIT.EDU
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 90 13:47:37 PDT
Well....
The mechanics say the master and slave cylinders seem to be working
properly (pushing the slave rod the right amount) and that they think
the problem is _IN_THE_TRANSMISSION_!  So they're gonna pull it apart.
But not to worry, it's ALL_UNDER_ WARRANTY!  So it's just a hassle.
But the whole thing still makes my stomach turn.  Just being back in
the shop makes me nervous.  It's where we left a good part of our
savings account in October.  At this point, all I can say is I'm glad
it happened now and not in November when the warranty runs out.

The one thing I neglected to mention to the list in my previous
postings is that it is difficult to move the shifter even when the car
is off.  Roger Garnett in personal mail to me said it could just be low
on transmission oil.  And it's true -- it's on the low end but still
within the normal range.  But the difficulty in moving the shifter is
in actually getting it to go anywhere sometimes.  So maybe it _is_ in the
transmission.

If any of you can think of any incompatibilites between a 1970 MGB
transmission and a 1966 clutch hydraulic system or any other early car
thing, let me know.

Stay tuned...

Lydia gregoret@cgl.ucsf.edu

P.S.  My relationship with Chuck is fine.  I was joking about our
marriage being on the rocks as a result of clutch bleeding, though we
did have a little argument that evening.